Re. Sanctuary of Our Lady of Blood



Located at the eastern end of the Vigezzo Valley, it originated from a miraculous event that occurred back in 1494. A young man intent on playing a traditional game, the piodella, angry at his defeat threw a stone towards the church, hitting the very portrait of the Madonna painted on the church of San Maurizio. The next morning, the fresco of the Madonna began to bleed from his forehead and continued to gush profusely for about twenty days. The bishop of Novara then decided to build a majestic and imposing sanctuary. It was built from two buildings, one originally from the 17th century and the other from the 20th century entirely in granite, integrated with a dome with four towers.



Click here to return to the menu: